It was difficult to order jewellery making supplies when the Covid-19 outbreak first hit (although things have improved now) so I’ve been on a bit of a mission to use up some of my existing materials on new designs. This copper seahorse is a case in point.
I used to work with copper much more than I do now. I’m not sure why I stopped really, but it does mean that I had a satisfying large sheet of copper in my stash. Perfect for a seahorse.
I bought some verdigris metal paints for some project or other, and never got around to doing anything with them. They mimic the way copper ages over time, but give a lasting finish that can be fixed with lacquer. The short lengths of chain were all saved from trimming 18″ necklaces down to 16″, and I had all the gemstones, including the lovely moonstone cabochon, in my supplies box.
I’m rather pleased with the end result, and it was a great exercise in being creative with materials that I had to hand. This post also represents the final entry in my month of Instagram challenge photos, the prompt today being Finished Design.
My lockdown seahorse is now looking for a new home, and you can find him online in my Etsy shop.